The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
The University of Luxembourg seeks to hire outstanding PhD Candidates. You will carry out research activities and write a thesis, the main goal being to obtain a PhD in the area of computer science.
A possible research starting point for this PhD project is the design and implementation of evolutionary algorithms for convolutional neural network visualisation, and its application in image recognition security. Suggestions for other research topics in deep learning, and their applications in security can also be discussed.
The PhD candidate will join the team of Professor Leprévost, and will be a member of the Department of Computer Science (DCS) within the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine at the University of Luxembourg. Part of the work time must therefore be dedicated to support teaching activities within the Computer Science Bachelor and Master programs of the faculty.
What we expect from you…
The candidate should possess an MSc degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics before September 30th, 2022. The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and experience in a number of the following topics:
- A proven interest in deep learning and evolutionary algorithms is a plus.
- Proven experience with “large”, possibly distributed mathematical computations is a plus.
- Commitment, team spirit, a critical mind, autonomy and motivation are skills that are more than welcome.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory. Knowledge of French or German is desirable, but not a must (language courses are offered at the university).
- Programming skills (mastery of C / C++ and/or Python is a plus).
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Foreseen starting date: September 2022
- Employee and student status
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04797
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 37.101,36 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications should include:
- Full CV, and name (and email address, etc) of three referees.
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken.
- Research statements and topics of particular interest to the candidate (300 words).
Please apply by 31 May 2022 – then the posting will remain online until filled. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.