Full Job Description
Syngenta is leading science-based agtech company dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture
About this opportunity:
Environmental Safety is a global organization with teams based across multiple countries in three continents and is responsible for ensuring that Syngenta’s biologicals, chemical and seeds technologies are safe for the environment.
At present, we are looking for ecotoxicologists, environmental fate experts, ecological modellers, and environmental risk assessors.
Numeracy and an understanding of environmental science are essential. Direct experience of environmental risk assessment and knowledge of current EU and Global pesticide regulations would be a distinct advantage.
Technical & professional depth and breadth
- Background in biological science or chemistry preferably with a higher degree level (MSc or PhD)
- Experience in conducting and interpreting ecotoxicology/environmental fate/eco-modelling studies and/or EU plant protection product risk assessments
- Working knowledge of environmental risk assessments and current EU plant protection regulations
- Summarising and utilising data in decision making
- Capable of advocating technically robust positions for projects
- Ability to analyse, interpret data and make judgements on their potential impact
- Effective communication skills
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects in parallel
- Commitment to achieve objectives individually and with a team
- Proactive networking
- Identifying opportunities and then identifying approaches to give significant business benefit
- Experience in conducting and interpreting risk assessments and utilising the data in decision-making
- Experience of project leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team
Key differentiating features
- Inspire and engage with internal and external stakeholders
- Capable of technical judgement
- Ability to build networks
- Senses and adapts to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery
- Skilfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to meet deadlines
- Creative problem solving/interpretation skills
- Good advocacy and influencing skill
- Works independently
What we offer
- Become part of a global team of over 300 experts
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams with colleagues from Research and Development and with scientists in our partner organizations, including universities and contract research organizations
- Work in a dynamic environment where regulations change and constantly challenge our ways of thinking
- The opportunity to approach scientific challenges with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Continuous learning experience and career development opportunities
- Exciting opportunities to work in the disciplines of ecotoxicology, risk assessment, ecological modelling, and environmental fate
We embrace and encourage diversity, and this is what drives our innovation and lets us outperform the market.