University of Alberta
We are currently looking for a Postdoctoral researcher committed to being part of a team developing innovative research combining cutting-edge bioinformatics tools and engineering bioreactor design to advance our understanding of the fundamental factors and mechanisms of wastewater microbiomes underlying complex bioprocesses.
The successful candidate will work in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering with Dr. Yang Liu. The ideal applicant will have demonstrated expertise with various bioinformatic analyses and pipelines, and have familiarity with next generation sequencing approaches for bacterial and/or archaea genomes. Solid knowledge and experience in advanced statistical approaches for analyzing complex molecular datasets is highly desirable. The ideal candidate is also expected to assist with various research needs in a molecular microbiology laboratory, including but not limited to experimental design, method development and validation, and general problem-solving. The candidate will be expected to assist in the training and mentoring of graduate students and writing research proposals. Teaching experience can be arranged if desired.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate that he/she meets the following:
- Has a PhD degree in biological sciences/microbiology with a solid understanding of bioinformatics and molecular biology tools
- Preference to applicants with a research background in environmental microbiology and/or bioreactors, and a solid understanding and demonstrated ability to apply studies on microbial growth kinetics or carbon/nitrogen/sulfur cycles
- A strong track record of refereed journal publications
- The ability to work independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, the names and contact information (address, phone number and email address) of three referees and one most relevant sample publication to [email protected].
The job ad can be found here: