About the Project
The changing climate increases the frequency and intensity of extreme events, which may cause huge disasters and damaging impacts on human health and ecosystem. The COVID-19 pandemic and frequent extreme weather events, including floods, extreme heat waves and severe typhoons, are seriously threatening the national/regional health care system due to its contemporaneous clusters across a span of time and various locations. This project aims to discover the extreme dependence and risk contagion schemes of contagious diseases and extreme weather events using statistical cluster techniques, extreme value theory and grey relation analysis. The findings are expected to establish early risk warning systems and post-disaster management systems, including the design of risk transfer, risk mitigations by pricing insurance product and catastrophic bond, and dynamic catastrophic risk maps providing policy- and decision-makers with a greater situational awareness regarding their potential risk.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in math, statistics, data science, public health, biostatistics, applied statistics or actuarial science, financial math. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email Chengxiu.Ling @xjtlu.edu.cn (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
- Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Chengxiu Ling (Chengxiu.Ling @xjtlu.edu.cn), whose personal profile is linked below,
Applications accepted all year round