Ghent University Global Campus
Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) is an integrated campus of Ghent University, Belgium, and the first European university to be part of the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Incheon, South Korea. Ghent University Global Campus currently offers Bachelor of Science programs in Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology. Ghent University is one of the top 100 universities in the world (ARWU ranking), and in the top 100 for the subjects Biological Sciences and Environmental Sciences (QS ranking).
Full-Time Postdoctoral Researcher – Ghent University Global Campus
Department: Plant Biotechnology Research Center
Degree: Doctoral degree in one of the following (or closely related area): Biotechnology; Biochemistry; Bioscience engineering (Biotechnology, agriculture); Biology (Functional biology)
Contract: 2 years, followed by another 2 years on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Assistant Academic Personnel (AAP)
Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. ir. Stephen Depuydt
Ghent University Global Campus, South Korea, has a vacancy for a full-time Postdoctoral Researcher position, starting from 01 June 2022 (open to negotiation). It concerns an initial 2-year full-time position for a renewable period of 2 years.
The candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Stephen Depuydt at the Plant Biotechnology Research Center (Lab of Plant Growth Analysis) of the Ghent University Global Campus in Korea. The candidate will be able to spend time at the home campus in Ghent, upon mutual agreement with the supervisor.
Job Qualification (Profile of the Candidate)
- Hold, or expect to hold, by 01 August 2022, a PhD degree in one of the following disciplines: Biotechnology; Biochemistry; Bioscience engineering (Biotechnology, agriculture); (Plant) Biology (Functional biology)
- Have demonstrable experience in plant biostimulant research and/or establishing phenotyping pipelines to build further on expertise and research projects of the Lab of Plant Growth Analysis
- Has an independent research and strong self-learning ability; a creative and inquisitive attitude is a must.
- Has strong didactic, communicative and management skills and a large interest and experience in providing and supporting academic education.
Assisting the supervisor to
- conduct research in the area of plant biostimulants (notably continuing work that has been initiated in the lab of Plant Growth Analysis)
- develop new research lines/areas (focusing on phenotyping for ecotoxicology monitoring following established research lines in the lab, among others) and help in acquiring external research funds through various project proposals and funding schemes (nationally, internationally),
- Contribute (up to 30%) to teaching undergraduate courses (including but not limited to Plant Biology, Plant Physiology and Integrated Practicum 1: Plant genetics and physiology) and supervising BSc Projects, as well as, if applicable, MSc and PhD students.
- Profound scientific background and knowledge on biostimulants and/or phenotyping for monitoring/steering plant growth is required.
- Educational experience(s) in instructing (practical) course units is a must. Experience with education in Korea and/or at Ghent University will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in supervising BSc/MSc/PhD students (leading up to dissertation) will be considered an advantage.
- Motivation letter (1-page)
- Full resume (CV), including at least 2 references’ contact details
- Copy of the degree (MSc; PhD)
- Research plan (1 A4 page; detailing (novel) research concept and objectives)
The documents must be merged into a single PDF file (<10MB) and sent to [email protected] r (subject line: Postdoctoral Assistant in the Lab of Plant Growth Analysis). The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application; only the selected candidate will be contacted for interview.
Application Process and Interview
Application Process and Interview: the application deadline is April 15th, 2022 (stays open till filled), and applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate. We reserve the right to hold applications on file for potential future job openings
For submission of your file and any inquiries, please contact us via e-mail: [email protected]
- CV Screening -> Interview -> Internal committee -> Approval -> Acceptance Notice to the selected candidate
Compensation & Benefits for the candidate selected
- Basic Term of the Contract
-2 year-contract term (followed by an extension of 2 years on the condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation)
-starts from Annual Base Salary of 46,624,160 KRW (Monthly Salary of 3,885,347 KRW Gross)
-Additional two bonuses in June (92% of monthly salary) and December (100% monthly salary)
A single unit of Dormitory operated by Incheon Global Campus (IGC) is provided for foreigners.
- Two round-tickets to Home Country (For foreigners only)
-The selected candidate with foreign nationality, shall have two round-tickets to Home town per year.
-Marsh private health insurance provided, including basic medical reimbursements
- Extensive annual paid leave and holidays
– The selected candidate shall have 35 days paid annual leave per year.
– Additional holiday from Christmas (Dec 25) to New Year (Jan 1).